The American Association of Nurse Practitioners® (AANP) recently published a press release
indicating that the number of nurse practitioners currently licensed to practice in the United States has doubled in the past 10 years. In 2007, an estimated 120,000 NPs were licensed to practice – today that number is approximately 248,000. AANP President Joyce Knestrick states that NPs conducted an estimated 1.02 billion patient visits in 2017 alone.
According to the AANP's recently completed annual survey, 74% of NPs work more than 35+ hours per week. NPs work in a variety of settings:
- 25.5% in private practice
- 12.8% in hospital outpatient clinics
- 10.3% in inpatient hospital units
- 8.2% in community health centers and Federally Qualified Health Centers
- 5.9% in emergency rooms/urgent care
At Wapiti Medical Staffing, we can attest to the value, experience, and compassion that NPs bring to the medical community. We are proud to have nurse practitioners as part of the Wapiti team!