From the IMLC: The Interstate Medical Licensure Compact (IMLC) offers an expedited pathway to licensure for qualified physicians who wish to practice in multiple states. While making it easier for physicians to obtain licenses to practice in multiple states, the Compact strengthens public protection by enhancing the ability of states to share investigative and disciplinary information.
The Compact currently includes 29 states, the District of Columbia, and the Territory of Guam (see map below for participating states). Under this agreement licensed physicians can qualify to practice medicine across state lines within the Compact if they meet the agreed-upon eligibility requirements. Approximately 80% of physicians meet the criteria for licensure through the IMLC.
The application process is expedited by using the physician’s existing information previously submitted in their state of principal license (SPL). The SPL will verify the physician’s information and conduct a fresh background check. Once qualified, the physician may select any number of Compact states for which they desire to practice.
Do You Qualify?
To qualify for a Compact license, a physician must hold a full, unrestricted medical license in a Compact Member State that is available to serve as an SPL (see map).
AND at least one item below must apply:
- Your primary residence is in the SPL (State of Principal Licensure)
- At least 25% of your practice of medicine occurs in the SPL
- Your employer is located in the SPL
- You use the SPL as your state of residence for U.S. federal income tax purposes
- Graduation from an accredited medical school or a school listed in the International Medical Education Directory
- Successful completion of ACGME or AOA accredited graduate medical education
- Passed each component of the USMLE, COMLEX-USA, or equivalent in no more than three attempts
- Hold a current specialty certification or time-unlimited certification by an ABMS or AOABOS board
- Must not have any history of disciplinary actions toward your medical license
- Must not have any criminal history
- Must not have any history of controlled substance actions toward your license
- Must not currently be under investigation
To learn more, or to begin the application process, visit https://www.imlcc.org/apply/.
Find your perfect position! Perm placement and locum tenens assignments available.